Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't take life for granted

Thursday evening when I was about to go to bed my cell phone started ringing. I didn't recognize the number, but answered it anyways. It was a friend calling to let me know that another friend's father had been killed in a motorcycle accident the evening before. In an instant I was shocked and so very sad for my friend. I cannot begin to imagine the pain she is feeling right now. She had posted on facebook Wednesday how she was shopping with her daughter getting ready for her to start kindergarden the next day. She was at a very happy place in life. And all in an instant that happiness was ripped away. Her father was everything to her. She loved him so very much. To say she was a daddy's girl would be an understatement. I have not spoken to her yet, but have left her a voice mail and also sent her a text to let her know I was praying for her and her family. Please pray for Kerrie and her family.




It really got me thinking about how so many people, me included, don't tell our loved ones just how much they mean to us often enough. I always make it a point to say "I love you" when getting off the phone with my parents, grandparents, nieces, and Joshua. But do I show that love all the time? I'm not really sure I do. We all are probably guilty of taking life for granted at times. But we shouldn't do it. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow. There might not be another time to tell that person how much they mean to you, or give them another hug.



This year I have had two of my Great Aunts pass away. In February Joshua and I, along with my parents went to KY to celebrate one of my great aunt's birthdays. While we were there we went to the nursing home to visit my great aunt Doris, she was 94. That was the last time I saw her, she passed away on June 26th. I will forever cherish the fact that I got to spend time with her, and have good memories with her. On July 27th my great aunt Lou Ellen who was 89 passed away. I hadn't seen her since last fall at a family get together, during the horrible rain we experienced. I am so happy that Joshua and I drove out to Lagrange to eat lunch with my family that day. I would regret it today if we hadn't gone.



Don't take life for granted....live every day like it's your last. Give an extra hug and kiss to your loved ones, take time to make a phone call or drive out of the way to visit family and friends. Don't make excuses and put it off, you might not get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment